Ken Griffey Jr. Upper Deck Rookie Cards - why more valuable?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth?' started by thajayz, Sep 27, 2013.

1. thajayz

thajayz Member

I have a ton of different Ken Griffey Jr. rookie cards from various manufacturers. I see that the Upper Deck ones are worth more than most of the other ones.

Why are the upper deck Griffey Jr. cards worth more? Were fewer printed or something like that?

If I was able to get him to sign one of the cards, how much more value do you think that would add to the card?
  2. Leafsfan1967

Leafsfan1967 Moderator Moderator

It would add zero value to me, because how would I know it was his real signature? In fact it would make the card worthless to me, because it would no longer be in mint condition, and in it's original state. Some may disagree with my logic, but that is how I feel about it. If you want to get a card signed, choose a more common rookie, or another year's card of him, or better yet, find a nice 8X10 with a blank white open spot at the bottom for him to put his signature in. Also, cards have a glossy finish on most brands, and a lot of times the autograph will appear blotchy on a shiny card, because the marker will not adhere to the card's finish.

All cards from that era were grossly over-produced, but I guess you could say the UD Griffey Jr was produced in lesser qualities compared to Fleer etc. Upper Deck rookie cards are a staple in the hobby, and always have been. Those are the rookies everyone wants in their collection.
  3. thajayz

thajayz Member

Well, I could get the signature verified by an expert but we all know that those people aren't always legitimate judges of athlete signatures. I think you mean "lesser quantities" not "qualities", right? I was mildly aware the UD cards were in higher demand. They hold more prestige for whatever reason.
  4. ranbethscards

ranbethscards Moderator Moderator

Most "true" collectors will NOT want a Rookie Card that has been autographed. There is no extra value involved.
  5. IQless1

IQless1 Active Member

I disagree.

The reason being it sounds like a "blanket statement"

"Quotes" are intentional lol

That said, I personally prefer cards specifically manufactured for autographs versus an "in person" (IP) signed card. The reason being that I don't trust an IP's authenticity, whereas cards manufactured specifically to be signed by a player are more trustworthy, to me anyway.

With IP's, yeah, I can do research, and I'm very good at analysis of sigs, but I still don't care for them....unless it's something I personally had signed. In that case, I'd expect that, should I attempt to sell the card, the value I personally had for it doesn't mean much, as I'd have nothing but my word to give as to it's authenticity, and if I don't trust other people's word for it, I have no right, no expectations, that they should trust me.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  6. thajayz

thajayz Member

That is a good point, IQless1. I also enjoy it when I can get autographs on my merchandise/memorabilia including trading cards. It adds that extra special bit of flare to it. I understand why other traders would not like the autograph though. Also, it isn't just your "word" that verifies the authenticity of the autograph. There are experts out there who can verify the authenticity of the signature. You have to trust their expertise and knowledge though.