Leafsfan1967's Mail Day Thread

Discussion in 'Hockey Mail & Box Breaks' started by Leafsfan1967, Jun 19, 2012.

1. ranbethscards

ranbethscards Moderator Moderator

sweeeeeeeet autographed spidey!
  2. redwing40

redwing40 #1 Wings Fan

Very nice!
  3. IQless1

IQless1 Active Member

Stan Lee is an interesting guy. I used to collect comics as a kid, and remember seeing a pic of him and Jack Kirby from the early to mid-60s working on some comics. He almost looks the same today lol...He must be a vampire, or something.

His company went nuts in the 80s with Direct Marketing, which may have contributed to the companies decline. Last I heard, he was struggling to make ends meet, and that's sad to me, as I respect the guy a lot for what he's done for the hobby.

I used to have a lot of those early Amazing Spider-Man comics, but sold them long ago. The earliest was # 21 or 22. Wish I still had 'em lol

The one pictured looks like a reprint, which makes sense, 'cause an original in that condition is worth a mil or so...and I don't think your bud like you THAT much, no offense meant. :D
  4. Leafsfan1967

Leafsfan1967 Moderator Moderator

No, it's a photograph. Stan is 91 years old now. Amazing he can still do these events at his age.
  5. IQless1

IQless1 Active Member

I was thinking it might be. Also, my kid may have the reprint. I gave him all of my comics as a graduation present, since I have no cash lol
  6. Leafsfan1967

Picked up two more autos Sunday night. Another Ted Lindsay for my collection, and my first Mike Gartner auto.

Gartner is from my hometown here in Barrie. For those who aren't familiar with Gartner, he had a pretty remakable NHL career. He played 1,432 regular season NHL games, and recorded 1,335 points. That puts him 30th on the all-time NHL points list. He scored 708 regular season goals, which ranks him 6th all time.

He was one of the most consistant scorers ever to play the game. He holds the NHL record for scoring 30, or more goals in 15 straight seasons (tied with Jaromir Jagr), and holds the NHL record the for most 30+ goal seasons with 17. Just to be able to play 17 seasons in the NHL is a remarkable feat, but to score 30, or more in 17 straight seasons is a record that may never be broken.

Glad to finally be able to add him to my permanent collection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
    ranbethscards and IQless1 like this.
  7. Leafsfan1967

Three more Parky autos tonight from the same seller. That is only the 2nd Rogers I've seen this year, and not too many Unger autos have been for auction the past year, or so, maybe 3-4. Had to let a couple others he had listed go, because they are higher priced ones, but happy to add these 3. He has several more I need ending on Saturday, so I'm hoping to get at least a couple more from him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  8. ranbethscards

three more very nice parkys! congrats Troy!
  9. Leafsfan1967

Thanks, buddy! This guy has a few more I need that I've never seen before, so I'm hoping to snag a few more on Saturday. He actually has a bunch more I need, but money, you know? They are more common, so not worried about those right now.
  10. redwing40

redwing40 #1 Wings Fan

Its sweet seeing the Parky Auto's for your set, Nice Lindsay and Gartner Auto's also! Garry Unger was way before my time of watching Hockey, think I was 13 in 1983 when he last played for the Wings. Thanks for sharing Troy! Congrats!
  11. Leafsfan1967

3 more Parky autos today. All 3 are tough ones to get, so happy about that, but I got beat out on several more I really wanted to grab, because they never come up for sale. One of the ones I wanted to get Terry O'Reilly went for ove $150 bucks. Guess what it books for? $15. Nice going Beckett.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  12. ranbethscards

Dino! Dino! Dino!

Congrats on three more autographs for the PC!
  13. Leafsfan1967

Thanks, Randy! I'm mad at myself for letting the Bobby Hull go this afternoon, because I was after Tery O'Reilly, Rick Middleton, and Marc Tardif (1st one I've ever seen), as they are a lot more rarer. I would have gladly paid the $44 for it, which is where it ended. The 3 I snagged tonight are very rare. That is the 1st Tkachuk I've ever seen, so glad to knock off him. The only one I haven't seen yet off my wantlist is Rod Gilbert, and Patrick Roy. Can just imagine what thaey'll go for when one of each surfaces?
  14. redwing40

redwing40 #1 Wings Fan

Sweet Dino!! Congrats on 3 more off your list! :)
  15. Leafsfan1967

Had some ebay sales, so thought I'd add a little more to the PC. No Parky autos today, as there aren't any available I need up for sale, but I did add a few old guys ink tonight, and some Gretzky cards (4) that were priced too good to let pass. May be a couple more autos in a couple hours from now, we'll see how it goes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  16. ranbethscards

more great pickups! congrats Troy!
    Leafsfan1967 likes this.
  17. redwing40

redwing40 #1 Wings Fan

Those are sweet Troy, nice pick ups!
    Leafsfan1967 likes this.
  18. Leafsfan1967

Just won 3 more, ad missed a couple others from the same 01-02 Parkhurst set. All 3 of these are /90 copies. I would have bought a few more, butthe seller had about 15 of these ending at the same time, and I didn't know how I stood money wise to buy any more. Turns out I could have, but I did enough damage for the night. These are my first ever Hall, and "Pocket Rocket" autos. Glad to finally add those two guys to the collection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  19. Leafsfan1967

A couple more additions in today. No Parky's on the horizon, so went another way this week. First off is a Score Jonathan Bernier auto I picked up for $4, and next is a Bernier SP Authentic rookie. It has a tiny bit of chipping along the top, which doesn't make me happy, but I got it at a good price, so relevent, I guess? Bernier is now with the Maple Leafs, so wanted to add a couple autos to the collection. Finally, is this Fleer Greats of the game beautiful Boom Boom Geoffrion auto from the 2001-02 set.

May try to pick up some others from this set, as they are very nice cards. I was always leary about buying these ones, but have now figured out how to tell the difference between the certified ones, and IP autos. The certifieds all have a gold border around them on the front. The regular cards are different colours, like the Boom Boom regular card has a blue border. Of course there's the COA on the back of the pack pulled autos, but the sellers very rarely show a scan of the back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
    IQless1 likes this.
  20. redwing40

redwing40 #1 Wings Fan

Very nice! Congrats!