Where do you store, protect, and display your cards?

Discussion in 'Card Chat' started by bigteeth96, Jul 23, 2013.

1. bigteeth96

bigteeth96 Member

It would be a shame to have a leak in the house or rampant dog ruin a large collection. How do you store, protect, and display your cards?

I have mine in a zip up trapper keeper. I keep that in a hidden spot under my bed. ;) When my friends want to see it, I am SUPER careful.
  2. Leafsfan1967

Leafsfan1967 Moderator Moderator

I have all my autographed cards in a large waterproof, fireproof safe. All my game used, and good rookie cards are in 2 smaller version safes. Everything else worthy of a top loader, and penny sleeve are stored in dozens of shoe boxes. I also have a couple dozen, or more complete sets in binders, and Ultra Pro 9 slot sleeves, and tons of different sized shoe boxes full of completed sets.
  3. IQless1

IQless1 Active Member

A lot of ways:

I have zip-up binders for some stuff, like my Star Trek TNG Season cards (they designed their cards to be displayed in 9-page pockets for binders), I have standard-sized card boxes for my rookies and other cards that are in soft-sleeves, I have two different sized plastic storage boxes for my "star" cards or non-common cards, and I made cardboard boxes specifically for commons, autos (in soft-sleeves, top-loaders, and team set bags), relics (same as autos), and special cards (same as autos).

In other words, a LOT of ways. :D
  4. KadenZipfel

KadenZipfel New Member

I use binders and boxes.
  5. pojokers

pojokers Member

I have all of my cards in plastic covers, then in binders, then in a safe. Almost all of the cards are worth lots of money or are very important to me so I actually stash the safe within another safe. It's a big safe to say the least.
    Leafsfan1967 likes this.
  6. nonsiccus

nonsiccus Member

Haha wait, so you literally have a smaller safe sitting inside of a larger safe? Is this common practice or something you decided you wanted to do for increased security?

I mean, this can't possibly be conventional?
  7. cinderr

cinderr Member

Mine are sitting right here next to me at my desk. They are in the pages; maybe I'm not as careful as I might be?

I believe I have nothing valuable but I still want to keep them around; still like Michael Jordan. Plus they were a gift from my son one birthday because he has fallen out of love with MJ.

You are careful! I wish I had something to care for like that besides my kids! I have had nothing of value my whole life---that's shitty!

Can you say you are a bit obsessive or am I reading you wrong or is it none of my bees wax at all? I too find it a bit weird. What does your spouse think?
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2013
  8. nonsiccus

nonsiccus Member

I'm not the one who's storing a safe within a safe. That'd be @pojokers - but yeah it's definitely something that's a little more than the average person would do I think. I mean, just a safe itself can get pretty expensive, much less two of them!
  9. Delle LeClair

Delle LeClair New Member

I keep my cards in a safe. The really important ones are all behind plastic, in binders. I don't take them out unless I absolutely have to do so. Even when I do remove them from the safe, I always keep them behind the protecting plastic. Removing them from the plastic always poses such a great risk, that corners may become bent, and that humidity may get under the plastic as well.
  10. cinderr

cinderr Member

Entirely logical to do what you must to feel comfortable with your arrangement, right? I am not that careful becasue if the house goes up in flames, it will not be Michael Jordan I will save! It will be photographs of my children.
  11. nonsiccus

nonsiccus Member

Good call. Though if you have a fire proof safe... why wouldn't you have your family pictures in there instead of your cards? Rather, why not both?

Another thing, as I'm relatively young, I don't have a ton of physical photos. Most of my pictures are digital so I guess my external hard drive is what I need to be careful with, lest it gets corrupted, lost or stolen.
  12. redwing40

redwing40 #1 Wings Fan

I keep everything in a fire proof safe, penny sleeve with toploader, I have best best one's graded and slabed when I get money to do so!
    Leafsfan1967 likes this.
  13. nonsiccus

nonsiccus Member

What's "slabed"? I assume you meant to write "slabbed", by which I'm imagining some sort of display? Sandwich it between plexiglass?
    redwing40 likes this.
  14. pojokers

pojokers Member

HA it's funny that my methods have caused such a stir. Sure, it seems a little obsessive but I actually only do it for organizational reasons. The big safe that I have has two shelves and the smaller safe that I have happens to fit on the bottom shelf perfectly. I don't know, it just looks more neat with it tucked in there then a loose beat up binder. All my other valuables fit on the two upper levels comfortably. So that's my explanation, I guess you guys can call me out on my obsessive organization I suppose.
    redwing40 likes this.
  15. nonsiccus

nonsiccus Member

It's just an interesting set up that seems kind of unconventional. Any chance you could snap a pic of the safes?
    redwing40 likes this.
  16. IQless1

IQless1 Active Member

You will have the last laugh. Years from now, as other, less careful people's cards lose value, yours will not. ;)
  17. redwing40

redwing40 #1 Wings Fan

Slabbed, meaning getting it Graded, yes you can say Sandwich it between plexiglass, sealed air tight, I can show a few if you like?
  18. nonsiccus

nonsiccus Member

I think I know what you mean by sandwiching it between plexiglass - however getting it "graded", is this some sort of governing body that grades the cards based on... condition? Rarity?

A pic or two would be awesome if it isn't too much of a hassle.
    redwing40 likes this.
  19. IQless1

IQless1 Active Member

Talk to ISA Grading about that!
  20. redwing40

redwing40 #1 Wings Fan

Yes, I would be graded buy the condition of the card, here is a couple I have, I use Beckett Grading, as most go with PSA or BGS, and we have our own ISA Grading that is a member here located in Michigan, but here is what they look like

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]